Post Op Instructions for a Dental Implant
- You should plan to rest immediately following the procedure and preferably for the next day. This helps early healing.
- Some discomfort will be felt afterwards but pain is not usually a problem. Suitable pain relief will be given to you and it is recommended that this be taken immediately following the procedure then as prescribed if required.
- Do not stretch or lift the lip out for the first couple of days as this may irritate the wound.
- Some slight oozing of the site may occur afterwards. This should stop within 12 hours. If bleeding persists then please phone the treating dentist.
- Soft foods should be taken for the first day so as not to disrupt the wound.
- It is important to keep the area clean and the mouth rinse "savacol" should be used twice daily for 7 days or until normal brushing can be resumed.
Do not start mouth rinse until next day.
- Hot salt water mouth soaks 4-6 times per day are to start the following day as well.
- Avoid hot drinks, alcohol or strenuous exercise for the first 24 hours as this may start bleeding.
- If you have a partial denture this should not be worn on the day of the procedure.
- Do not force the denture into place if there is any pressure, leave the denture out and contact the surgery.